Translate This Page
"What works for your child is what makes the choice right"
What is Hands & Voices all about?
We are a parent-driven nationwide non-profit organization dedicated to supporting families and their children who are deaf or hard of hearing, as well as the professionals who serve them. We are a parent/professional collaborative group that is unbiased towards communication modes and methods.
Our mission is to improve:
-the quality of life for children who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing (D/HH)
-the educational outcomes for D/HH kids through deaf education reform
-educational advocacy efforts through parent/ professional training
- continue the national movement which will once and for all get beyond the question of which communication philosophy is best for all D/HH infants, children and teens.
"What works for your child is what makes the choice right."
What can Hands & Voices do for my family?
- We provide connection, information, advocacy, and community.
- Our Guide By Your Side program matches families with parent guides trained to provide nonbiased information and support for whatever path each family chooses.
- We maintain a free lending library, produce a monthly e-newsletter, and send out the quarterly national newspaper The Communicator, all packed with resources specific to the needs of parents raising deaf and hard of hearing children.
- We sponsor speakers and workshops to teach advocacy, safety, and other topics vital to our members.
- We also host free social events to foster community and prevent isolation. Many parents of deaf and hard of hearing children report that they had never even met a deaf or hard of hearing person before they met their own child. Meeting other families overcoming similar challenges can be a powerful and affirming experience.
- We believe our Deaf or hard of hearing children have a fundamental human right to communication, regardless of their mode or method of communication.
- We believe that there is no one communication choice that will work for all children who are deaf or hard of hearing, so we work to provide access to good information that's free from a sponsoring agenda or ideology.
- We get meaningfully involved in Early Hearing Detection and Intervention programs (EHDI), educational advocacy, and other systems to improve them from an end-user perspective as only a group of determined parents can.
How can I get involved?
Any way that makes sense for you and your family!
Do you need a parent guide?
Are you ready to train to be a parent guide for other families? Are you fired up to speak about your children's rights in Dover?
The first step is to join Hands & Voices.
We are currently extremely lucky to be able to offer free annual membership due to the tremendous support we receive through grants and donations. May this always be true!
Membership is FREE, and benefits include:
- The Communicator Hands & Voices quarterly national newspaper delivered to your door
- Monthly emailed chapter newsletter
- Reduced fees to attend workshops
- Social events
- Advocacy assistance
- Local/National/International Parent/Professional networks
- Your own free copy of The Book of Choice
"This H&V chapter and its website may publish articles or commentaries from authors presenting their own perspectives. All contributed material is solely the viewpoint of the authors and may not reflect the viewpoint or indicate the sponsorship of Hands & Voices. It is intended for informational purposes only.”